Department of Philosophy
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5028
email: shandonguthrie AT yahoo.com
- Visiting Lecturer of Philosophy at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- 2002 - current
- Adjunct Professor of Philosophy at the College of Southern Nevada
- 2003 - 2016
- Affiliate Faculty Professor of Philosophy at Regis University
- CPS School of Humanities and Social Studies Faculty
- Ph.D. in philosophy, Manchester Metropolitan University, England
- studied philosophy at University of Wales - Trinity St. David
- studied theology at Fuller Theological Seminary, 1999
- B.A. in philosophy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada 1998
- A.A. in science, College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 1997
A New Metaphysics of Christian Demonology: Psychodynamic Immaterialism
Director: Dr. Lloyd Strickland
- Philosophy of Religion
- The Coherence of Theism
- Biblical Studies
- Protestant Theology/History
Papers and Publications:
- Contributing chapter (“Angels, Early Theories”) to Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Philosophy of Religion, ed. by Charles Taliaferro and Stewart Goetz (Wiley-Blackwell; forthcoming)
- Forthcoming: “Why Doesn’t God Heal Amputees?”
- Forthcoming: “Can There Be a Natural Diabology?: On the Prospect of whether there can be Arguments for the Existence of the Devil”
- Forthcoming: "The Devil Can't Wear Prada: Philosophy, Demonology, and Paranormal Activity"
- Forthcoming: “The Implausibility of a Diabolical Theodicy: On the Prospect of Going Forward with a Defense of God’s Existence from the Problem of Natural Evil in a Pre-Human World” (Philosophia Christi).
- Forthcoming: “Christian Demonology: A New Philosophical Perspective,” in Philosophical Perspectives of Demonology, ed. by Robert Arp and Benjamin McGraw (Routledge, 2017).
- 2016: “Can Demons Do the Extraordinary, Or Is It All In Your Head?” (paper read at the pacific regional division of the Society of Christian Philosophers).
- 2015: “The Implausibility of a Diabolical Theodicy” (paper read at the mid-western regional division of the Evangelical Philosophical Association).
- 2002: "Rationalism and the Historical Mind-Body Controversy," Quodlibet (Volume IV, Number 2-3).
Membership in Professional Organizations:
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- Evangelical Theological Society
- American Philosophical Association
- 1997: The International Honour Society’s Certificate of Outstanding Scholastic Achievement
- Philosophy of Religion
- Logic & Critical Thinking
- American Philosophy
- The Meaning of Life
- Introduction to Philosophy
In my areas of expertise, I try to bring to the table both dynamic and integrative teaching methods that combine both a dispassionate, analytical approach with a passionate, constructive outcome. And I always concern myself with ways others can improve and clarify personal thinking in their own endeavors.