Department of Philosophy
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5028
email: shandonguthrie AT yahoo.com
- Visiting Lecturer of Philosophy at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- 2002 - current
- Adjunct Professor of Philosophy at the College of Southern Nevada
- 2003 - 2016
- Affiliate Faculty Professor of Philosophy at Regis University
- CPS School of Humanities and Social Studies Faculty
- Ph.D. in philosophy, Manchester Metropolitan University, England
- studied philosophy at University of Wales - Trinity St. David
- studied theology at Fuller Theological Seminary, 1999
- B.A. in philosophy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada 1998
- A.A. in science, College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 1997
A New Metaphysics of Christian Demonology: Psychodynamic Immaterialism
Director: Dr. Lloyd Strickland
- Philosophy of Religion
- The Coherence of Theism
- Biblical Studies
- Protestant Theology/History
Papers and Publications:
- Gods of this World (Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2018).
- Book Chapters
- Forthcoming: “Angels, Early Theories,” Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Philosophy of Religion, ed. by Charles Taliaferro and Stewart Goetz (Wiley-Blackwell; 2019).
- “Christian Demonology: A New Philosophical Perspective,” in Philosophical Perspectives of Demonology, ed. by Robert Arp and Benjamin McGraw (Routledge, 2017).
- Conference Papers
- "A Philosophical Assessment of the Extra-dimensional Hypothesis" (2018; paper to be read at the southwest division of the Evangelical Philosophical Society).
- “An Ever-lacking Punishment? A Response to the Ethical Argument from Justice against Eschatological Annihilationism” (2018; paper to be read at the annual Evangelical Philosophical Society).
- “A Reply to David Kyle Johnson: On Justified Belief” (2018; paper to be read at the southwest division of the Evangelical Philosophical Society).
- “Can Demons Do the Extraordinary, Or Is It All In Your Head?” (2016; paper read at the pacific regional division of the Society of Christian Philosophers).
- “The Implausibility of a Diabolical Theodicy” (2015; paper read at the mid-western regional division of the Evangelical Philosophical Association).
- Journal Articles
- “A New Challenge to a Warfare Theodicy,” International Journal of Philosophy and Theology, 5.2 (December, 2017).
- "Rationalism and the Historical Mind-Body Controversy," Quodlibet, 4 (2002).
Other Professional Talks/Speeches:
- Panel Debate on “Lust: How to Own our Sexuality” at the Center for Science and Wonder (April 28, 2018; forthcoming).
- “What Hath Philosophy to do with Me?” speech for Phi Theta Kappa, the College of Southern Nevada’s local Honor Society (April 22, 2016).
- “The Meaning of Life as a Tool for Evangelism” speech for the UNLV Christian Graduates Organization (April 25, 2014).
- “Reasoning the Resurrection: Where Athens Meets Jerusalem” presentation in UNLV’s Phil: Reason & Religion course (Fall 2012).
- Public debate with Dr. William Ramsey: “Which is More Reasonable: Christianity or Atheism?” at UNLV (April, 2011).
Membership in Professional Organizations:
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- Evangelical Theological Society
- American Philosophical Association
- 1997: The International Honour Society’s Certificate of Outstanding Scholastic Achievement
- Philosophy of Religion
- Logic & Critical Thinking
- American Philosophy
- The Meaning of Life
- Introduction to Philosophy
In my areas of expertise, I try to bring to the table both dynamic and integrative teaching methods that combine both a dispassionate, analytical approach with a passionate, constructive outcome. And I always concern myself with ways others can improve and clarify personal thinking in their own endeavors.